Sunday, November 24, 2013

Better Days


Well, since I haven't been great about blogging this past month, I'm playing catch-up in this post.  I promise this is the last huge photo dump... for now anyway. ;-)

I guess you could say it's been a bit of a roller coaster.  The day we left
the big island, we got an amazingly wonderful text -- my sister-in-law, who has been married for almost ten years and trying to have a baby... then trying to adopt... and it was such a long, heart-breaking process... FINALLY got her baby.  Meet my adorable newest nephew, Thomas!

We got home, and Matt has had to work pretty much every day of November... so that hasn't been fun.  And there were some issues pertaining to my kids that came to a head early this month, and we had an ugly reminder that people can be horrible jerks.  But then, rather surprisingly, things have gotten remarkably better.  Some more changes that obviously needed to happen took place.  And the past couple weeks have been much better.  It's not that everything is straightened out and perfect yet, but it's just smoother, happier.  My kids have real smiles on their faces again.

This past week, we had a great day.  First off, let me just say that my kids love Bethany Hamilton.  Her perspective on life has been such an inspiration to them on the tough days they've faced.  So when Jayna found out that she would be at the Ala Moana signing posters, she asked if we could go.  Monday afternoon, after we'd finished our school and piano lessons, we headed downtown.

I was kind of nervous when I saw the long line of people waiting to meet her outside Island Sole, but it ended up being only about twenty minutes to get through once the line started to move (after forty-five minutes of waiting).  Bethany was so nice and down-to-earth.  It was so great.

Matt was still at work (ugh!) but told us to go out to dinner while we were there.  So that's what we did.  We had a recommendation for Goma Tei Ramen at the Ala Moana, so we decided to check it out.  I guess I didn't understand what could be so wonderful about ramen.  I mean, sure, Top Ramen kept Matt and I alive during our newlywed days, but still.
I love how Wyatt is going cross-eyed here!!
Oh my goodness.  So yummy!!  There were these huge bowls with delicious broth and filled with all kinds of deliciousness.  We ate our fill and had plenty to take home, even without ordering a bowl for each person.  And it was very reasonably priced -- okay, not as cheap as Top Ramen, but for Hawaii.

Anyway, that was a super fun day, but it's been the little things.  Like coming over that last hill on the H3 and seeing Kaneohe Bay and knowing I'm almost home, the hibiscus, the Ko'olau mountains with the sun setting behind them,
a morning surf at White Plains (even if the waves weren't great that time).

These are better days, and I am thankful.


P.S. Most of these photos are from Instagram.  If you don't already, you can follow me here.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, so cool about meeting Bethany Hamilton! You look so cute in that picture. :-) And so glad for better days. Perspective makes such a difference, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and make my day! Leave a comment! :-)