Thursday, November 29, 2012

7 Quick Takes

And now for something completely -- and I mean, completely -- different.  I'm actually joining up with this linky party hosted by Jennifer at Conversion Diary.  I have been too intimidated by the thought of coming up with seven things up until now, but then I realized my brain usually only produces "quick takes" and capturing seven isn't that much harder than five random things..

So here goes... (Eek!)

1. Yesterday morning started bright and early with Lilly throwing up at 5:34 a.m. and Skyler coming down to announce it to me.  I was already awake, since my dear husband has been waking up at that ridiculous hour, but usually I go right back to sleep, and I didn't get to do that.  Instead, I took a bunch of sheets down to the washing machine.  Then, after traipsing to the freezing garage, I was sadly wide awake.

Lilly went back to sleep after the second puke explosion, took a little nap, and then I spent the rest of the day telling her to PLEASE sit still, preferably in bed, all to no avail.  She kept saying her stomach hurt, but she was jumping and dancing all over the house, sharing a cup of water with Wyatt (a fact I noticed a split-second too late.  Ugh.), probably leaving little stomach flu viruses everywhere.

2.  By the way, did I mention that we have a really crazy week next week?  And by crazy I mean a birthday and birthday party, a bunch of family finally coming to see us, because... Jayna and Skyler are going to be in the Nutcracker and Jayna is Clara and Skyler has two parts!! (rat and Enchanted Tree)

Sometimes I think stomach viruses have a special feature that lets them know the absolute worst time to unleash their wrath and do it just then.  (Remember this?)

3. I'm hoping and praying that if/ when the rest of us get this, it's as short-lived and mild as it seems to have been for Lilly.  If you don't mind, please say a prayer that we are all healthy by next Tuesday so the all the fun can be unfettered.

4.  Have you heard of using grape juice as prevention for stomach flus?  Someone brought it up -- er, well... -- at Mom's Coffee Break the other day, and I did some research.  I bought some grape juice, but I haven't used it.  Maybe I should, but I don't really trust it because of a few comments I read, including one (can't remember exactly which website) that said,  "Doesn't work!  Have six puking kids!" and I got this scary, ultra-vivid mental picture that has kept the grape juice put away.  What are your thoughts?  Anyone tried it?

5.  Random.  In my college religions class, I learned that Zoroastrians believe that hell has seven levels and the seventh (worst) is a place of eternal vomiting.  That's really stuck with me.  I can totally see it.  Forget fire and brimstone.  Eternal vomiting terrifies me.


6.  Okay, enough about puke.  Let's talk about food.  :-)  In case you were wondering what we ate for our vegetarian Thanksgiving, here you go: Marinated tofu with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and roasted butternut squash.  It was delicious, if I do say so.  We didn't try to go completely vegan -- there was the turkey cake and regular pumpkin pie for dessert, plus this Dutch Apple Pie that I made with the girls.  We were stuffed.  It was wonderful.

7.  Besides joining this link-up, I've made a few changes around the ol' blog.  For one thing, you'll notice at the top of the home page, I added two pages: "About" and "Writing".  I know, right?  Finally?!!?  Feel free to check them out!  My "Writing" page is not a complete list of my published writing.  Unfortunately, the magazine that had published the majority of my essays (ParentWise: Austin) went out of business, so I lost all the links.  I still have the essays, but I feel funny putting them on here, like, "No, really, this was published.  Someone actually paid me a few dollars for this one!  Really, I promise!"

I always say I write for myself and God.  But getting feedback keeps me going on the tough days.  So, I'd love if you followed.  Or if you subscribed.  Or if you left comments -- preferrably on the blog rather than on Facebook to show editors that people do actually read this if/ when I try to get some more stuff published.  I'm not going to ask you to sign over your inheritance, I promise, I'd just really love to see a face or name and know that maybe I'm connecting with someone.

I do promise that if I do this 7 Quick Takes again, there won't be any so much of the word "puke" thrown around.  Anyway, here's hoping for a healthy weekend!

6 comments:

  1. I do read all of your blog posts, with interest. They are such a lovely snapshot of your life and your beautiful family. (And they are often very funny :))
    Anouchka xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, welcome!
    So sorry about the stomach virus...I don't know about grape juice but the thought of cleaning up "recycled" grape juice is an awfully horrid thought! Go with hand washing until your skin cracks...and Lysol....everywhere and often!!
    Love the Nutcracker....my girls and I are headed there next weekend with my step-sis and nieces, looking forward to it!! How fun to actually be a part of it!
    Blessings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for reading! :-)

      Delete

Go ahead and make my day! Leave a comment! :-)